Level 5 Restrictions Explained – Can Tradesmen Work In Your Home?
As 'Level 5' restrictions come into effect from midnight on Wednesday 21st October, we provide guidance on what this level means for homeowners seeking to hire a tradesman or for those who have maintenance or building work scheduled during this period.
Level 5 Restrictions Explained.
The announcement of level 5 is hugely disruptive for Irish businesses and citizens alike, but these restrictions are all aimed to reduce the spread of COVID-19 and we all have a role to play.
Within the framework, the government has highlighted specific exceptions which relate to the construction sector. These exceptions are outlined as follows:
(a) construction or development work and the provision of support services relating to construction and development work;
(b) the repair, maintenance and construction of road, rail and utility infrastructure;
(c) the supply and delivery of maintenance and repair services to businesses and places of residence (including electrical, gas, plumbing, glazing and roofing services).
During this period, if you require an essential home repair, then a tradesperson will be allowed to enter your home. This includes;
It should also be noted that emergency tree surgery is also allowed during level 5 restrictions.
Construction projects including extensions and refurbishments are also permitted to continue but it is important that you and your construction or project supervisor are following Health and Safety Construction Guidelines.
How to have work done safely in your home during COVID-19
- No maintenance or repair work should be carried out in a household where a person is isolating or shielding
- The number of visits to your home should be reduced where possible. Onlinetradesmen has recently introduced Video Calls to discuss your home improvement projects remotely with preferred tradesmen - you can find out more here.
- The 2-metre distance rule should be adhered to at all times
- Assist room ventilation by keeping windows and doors open where work is taking place
- Tradesmen have been advised to follow HSE guidelines at all times – so when trade pros arrive at your home, make sure they know where they can wash their hands and make it super easy for them by keeping your distance.
Government statement on essential services under level 5 restrictions here.
HSE Covid-19 Guidance here
You can find a tradesperson near you here.
About the Author