What is a Painter Decorator?
Painters are often self-employed or can be hired by project managers or building maintenance agencies for the purpose of preparing, protecting and decorating interior and exterior surfaces.
What does a Painter Decorator do?
- Examine the internal or external aspects of a building and make suggestions or recommendations on methods and techniques to use and the quantity of material required
- Advise on style, colour and finish most suitable for the job including matching and reproducing colours and applying finishing coats as well as applying wall coverings like wallpaper
- Prepare, protect and repair surfaces including scraping and sanding surfaces and applying primer and sealer
- Knowledge on techniques and tools required to sandblast, hydro-blast, and steam-clean
- Estimate and order paint, paint materials and supplies
- Use scaffoldings and ladders according to Safe Pass Ireland guidance and regulation
- Clean up during and after job completion and dispose paint and other materials in an environmentally sustainable way
What are a Painter Decorator's Qualifications?
No formal qualifications are necessary to become a painter, however many painters have completed a Painting and Decorating qualifications or a QQI Level 6 Advanced Certificate Craft - Painting and Decorating apprenticeship with minimum of 3 to 5 years of work experience. When hiring painter be sure to ask for commercial references, public liability and Safe Pass Ireland certificate.
Painter Decorator AKA
Painters can also be known as Painter and Paperhanger, Painter and Decorator, Touch Up Painter, House Painter, Commercial Building Painter, Maintenance Painter